Sometimes I like to do bullet point posts. This is one of those times.
- I got my June Julep mystery box. I was just whelmed. The polishes are pretty. I got Morgan which is a grapey blue-purple shimmery business, and Lauren which is hot-ish pink/coral and looks rad on my toes. The other stuff – topcoat for hair and tingly lip-plumping gloss were alright. I like the topcoat well enough, but was pissy because I just shelled out 25 bucks for shine spray for my hair. The gloss is an okay colour, I’ll wear it, but I wouldn’t buy it on its own. If I’d paid $60 for it I probably wouldn’t have been too excited, but I feel like I got my money’s worth out of it for $19.
- I got a new camera. I’ll start posting pictures soon. Yeeeah.
- I used the polish remover wipes from my Glymm box. I got 7 nails out of one. If I hadn’t had glitter on, I may have had enough for the full 10.
- I got a pretty serious pile of nail stamping plates in the mail last week. I’ve got some polishes on the way too. Watch out world. My nails and I are coming.
- I found out that Picture Polish’s Monroe is a limited edition, and freaked out and bought it because OMG I WANT IT SO BAD AND IT MIGHT GO AWAY BEFORE I CAN GET IT. I am a marketing person’s dream. I hope it comes fast, before I decide I don’t really like it or something.
I got my first Glymm box the other day. I’ve signed up for all of the beauty boxes available to Canadians. Well, I’m on the wait lists for TopBox, and Luxebox, but as far as Glymm, Julep and Glossy, I’m in the club. Yeaaaaah.
My camera is craptastic, so for the moment I’ll direct you to myproducts.glymm.com so you can see what was in the package.
1. Eco-Beauty® Acetone-Free Nail Polish Remover – this is the only thing I haven’t actually tried as of right now. I go through a lot of nail polish remover, so I figure these wouldn’t be to practical. I guess they’d be handy for travelling, if you had to do your nails on the road. It’s $9.99 for 18 of them.
2. Smoothing Marine Cream – the first thing that struck me with this was the smell. It reminds me of my high school angst days, when I’d sit in my room and burn incense (either patchouli or sandalwood) and listen to Ethan Hawke sing “I’m nothing” from the Reality Bites soundtrack. I felt your pain, Ethan. Anyhoo, it’s very much one of those herby, woody, incensey smells. Nice, if you’re into that kind of thing, but I probably wouldn’t use it before going to work because I found it quite strong and it stuck around. Feels nice on my face but it’s so far out of my price range – the regular 50ml size is 115 bones – that I probably won’t see more than this sample.
3. Salvadore Dali ItIsDream – Ew. Not my style at all. Sprayed it on, waited a bit and hoped it would get better, washed it off. $54 for 60 ml.
4. Vitamin and Sea Perfect Skin Solution – I’ve only used this twice, but so far so good. I have fussy multiple-personality skin, and was worried it would make me greasy. It doesn’t. Smells pretty good, soaks right in. You get 45 ml for $68, and if my skin is perfect by the end of the sample, I might spring for some. Maybe.
5. Belvada Duo Lipstick | Harmony – I rolled my eyes when I opened this one. It’s a lipstick and lip balm in one package, and I got Intense Red, which made me pouty (I don’t really trust red lipstick, and some people got pretty pink ones). I got over myself though, and decided to give it a chance. It’s actually not too bad on me. It’s sheer-ish, and doesn’t make me look like I’m on an OJT for clown school. Win! Pleasantly surprised. $20 for the full size (which the sample was).
6. Bag – It’s blue and has a zipper. Do they plan on sending one of these every month? I know this is the second one they’ve done in this format, but it seems like that’s a lot of bags for a long-term subscriber. Maybe I can pack my kids lunch in them?
I’ve got the plague (well, it’s a cold, but I languished for most of the day, and feel like a garbage truck hit me) so I treated myself to some argan oil on my hair (it was on sale @ Sally today) and a hot towel. This is a new thing, so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Are you an argan oil user? What do you think – beauty equivalent of a super food or hyped up BS?
I love makeup and nail polish and hair stuff. LOVE it. But I’ve never been any good with it. I try a smoky eye, and look like the morning after a crack binge. Red lipstick = Coco the fucking clown. Self tanner? Well, I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure the result would be somewhere between a pudgy He-Man and a clementine. Not a good scene. I’ve decided, at the ripe old age of 33, to figure it all out. And I’m bringing the whole internet along for the ride.
I’ll tell you about all the stuff I try, products, techniques and so on. I love getting mail, so I’ll share the excitement of my Glymm/Glossy/whatever boxes with you. If I ever take a photo of myself that won’t make your eyes catch fire, I may post those. But we’ll see. I may even treat you to the occasional video where I flail around for your entertainment! Good times.