Things I loved this week.
1. Sunshine! Yes, it has been too dry lately, and some rain would be good, but there hasn’t been a summer this nice in recent memory. Lots of good times outside with my girls.
2. My 2012 Bundle Monster plates arrived. As soon as my nails are an acceptable length, I’m going to stamp the shit out of them.
3. Food. I found perfect banana muffin and pancake recipes. I went for Japanese with my knitting buddy on Sunday, and we got extra vegi crunch roll because it wasn’t busy in the restaurant. Bliss. If you are ever in Charlottetown, Mr. Sushi is a must.
4. Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. I love it in ways that are a bit inappropriate. I feel the urge to stockpile in case it goes away.
5. Knitting. I’m back into it after a very long slump. I forgot how much it relaxed me. I may spin tonight and watch a documentary.
I’m going to start a series on my nail polish collection… I don’t know if I should work by colour or brand. Brand would definitely take longer… will think about it.
I got another Glymm box. I dunno, my first two boxes haven’t been WOAH AMAZEBALLS, but I believe that these sample boxes are like lottery tickets, you take a chance and you shouldn’t complain if you don’t win. This one is just on the good side of okay. Picture?
You can check out the descriptions at myproducts.glymm.com
Here’s my take.
The orange bag is cute. I’ve got two of these so far, and they’re used to hold nail stuff – files, image plates and so on.
The blue box is two cyberderm moisturizers. In weird little syringes. H2o hydration (full size $60), and PM antiage (full size $115). Ehhh. They’re alright. I’ve been using them for about 3 days, and while I know this isn’t really enough time to get a good idea of how well they worked, I’m not super impressed. And certainly not $115 impressed. Interesting sample though.
The little pot that says dirt is a salt scrub (full size $45) I make my own salt and sugar scrubs for different stuff, so I don’t often buy them. This is nice, smells like candy. I’ve been using it on my hands to stretch the sample. Just a salt scrub though, nothing outstanding.
The wee spray bottle is Mane Teeze Social Butterfly Hair perfume (full size is $34). Smells awesome. I do love me some vanilla-y scent. I really like this sample, and would love to try the other two in the line. Good sized sample too @ about 50 sprays. I don’t have a lot of hair so this one should last me a good while as I can get away with just one spray at a time.
Little paper thing is a 25% off nail polish coupon. Probably on’t use. They don’t have much selection, and unless I qualify for free shipping on my order, I can get stuff for a better price elsewhere.
Last sample is a tube of Joico Kpak Revitaluxe. It’s really just a heavy-duty conditioner. It smells nice, and my hair was very soft. Today is a no-do day (which means that I didn’t bother with blow drying my hair. Not going anywhere, why torture it?) I think that with a blow-dry, straighten, shine spray afterwards, my hair would be fantastic. I don’t know if I’ll try to find a salon that carries this and keep using it or not. We’ll see.
Verdict – Okay box. The hair perfume and conditioner were nice. The other samples didn’t rock my world, but I’ll use them up.
What’s up buttercups?
Remember the other day when I hacked off all my nails in a fit?
Nuuuuubiiiiiiins. The nubiest nubs that ever nubbed. Gah.
The drugstore around the corner has Essie stuff on sale, so I picked up some Grow Faster. It claims that in 5 days, I’ll have noticeable growth. Now, a good scienceologist would do a control where we do five days of untreated nails, and then five days of treatments. There would be charts and graphs and goggles and lab coats. But I’m both lazy and impatient, so we’re jumping right in. I took this picture last night, and put my first treatment on this afternoon. So, we’ll take a photo every day for six, and see where we are. If I can get my hands on some goggles, I’ll use those just to make it legit.
Oh hey. How’s it going? I should probably mention that until I get on a roll, I’m a cruddy and sporadic blogger. Sry.
Anymahokie, not much really going on around here. Had to cut all my nails off – broke one pretty nastily, and can’t stand having one short one so I hacked them all off. I’m choosing to look at this as an opportunity to start fresh, and take fantastic care of them so they grow up awesome. I was pretty sour about the whole thing though, let me tell you.
I’m planning on getting things set up so I can take decent pictures of stuff this weekend. So you can see all the goodies I bring home! And my subscription boxes! Oh yay.
Getting awesome skin is my current project. I’m cleansing and exfoliating and slapping all kinds of masks and shit on it. Good times. Don’t come to my house after 8 PM, because I’ll probably have something weird on my face. My current fave is (oh, you’re gonna love this) a paste of orange juice and baking powder. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. My skin felt like a million bucks and looked really clear afterwards. And I made a sugar scrub for my lips with coconut oil, honey and brown sugar. It tastes fantastic, and makes my lips so soft I want to kiss myself. Amazing how much better lipstick and gloss look when your lips are smooth. I thought I was just unlucky.
I really need to start using eye cream, so I’m hoping that I’ll get some samples in my subscription boxes coming up. Any recommendations?
Sweet dreams cupcakes xox
Sometimes I like to do bullet point posts. This is one of those times.
- I got my June Julep mystery box. I was just whelmed. The polishes are pretty. I got Morgan which is a grapey blue-purple shimmery business, and Lauren which is hot-ish pink/coral and looks rad on my toes. The other stuff – topcoat for hair and tingly lip-plumping gloss were alright. I like the topcoat well enough, but was pissy because I just shelled out 25 bucks for shine spray for my hair. The gloss is an okay colour, I’ll wear it, but I wouldn’t buy it on its own. If I’d paid $60 for it I probably wouldn’t have been too excited, but I feel like I got my money’s worth out of it for $19.
- I got a new camera. I’ll start posting pictures soon. Yeeeah.
- I used the polish remover wipes from my Glymm box. I got 7 nails out of one. If I hadn’t had glitter on, I may have had enough for the full 10.
- I got a pretty serious pile of nail stamping plates in the mail last week. I’ve got some polishes on the way too. Watch out world. My nails and I are coming.
- I found out that Picture Polish’s Monroe is a limited edition, and freaked out and bought it because OMG I WANT IT SO BAD AND IT MIGHT GO AWAY BEFORE I CAN GET IT. I am a marketing person’s dream. I hope it comes fast, before I decide I don’t really like it or something.
I got my first Glymm box the other day. I’ve signed up for all of the beauty boxes available to Canadians. Well, I’m on the wait lists for TopBox, and Luxebox, but as far as Glymm, Julep and Glossy, I’m in the club. Yeaaaaah.
My camera is craptastic, so for the moment I’ll direct you to myproducts.glymm.com so you can see what was in the package.
1. Eco-Beauty® Acetone-Free Nail Polish Remover – this is the only thing I haven’t actually tried as of right now. I go through a lot of nail polish remover, so I figure these wouldn’t be to practical. I guess they’d be handy for travelling, if you had to do your nails on the road. It’s $9.99 for 18 of them.
2. Smoothing Marine Cream – the first thing that struck me with this was the smell. It reminds me of my high school angst days, when I’d sit in my room and burn incense (either patchouli or sandalwood) and listen to Ethan Hawke sing “I’m nothing” from the Reality Bites soundtrack. I felt your pain, Ethan. Anyhoo, it’s very much one of those herby, woody, incensey smells. Nice, if you’re into that kind of thing, but I probably wouldn’t use it before going to work because I found it quite strong and it stuck around. Feels nice on my face but it’s so far out of my price range – the regular 50ml size is 115 bones – that I probably won’t see more than this sample.
3. Salvadore Dali ItIsDream – Ew. Not my style at all. Sprayed it on, waited a bit and hoped it would get better, washed it off. $54 for 60 ml.
4. Vitamin and Sea Perfect Skin Solution – I’ve only used this twice, but so far so good. I have fussy multiple-personality skin, and was worried it would make me greasy. It doesn’t. Smells pretty good, soaks right in. You get 45 ml for $68, and if my skin is perfect by the end of the sample, I might spring for some. Maybe.
5. Belvada Duo Lipstick | Harmony – I rolled my eyes when I opened this one. It’s a lipstick and lip balm in one package, and I got Intense Red, which made me pouty (I don’t really trust red lipstick, and some people got pretty pink ones). I got over myself though, and decided to give it a chance. It’s actually not too bad on me. It’s sheer-ish, and doesn’t make me look like I’m on an OJT for clown school. Win! Pleasantly surprised. $20 for the full size (which the sample was).
6. Bag – It’s blue and has a zipper. Do they plan on sending one of these every month? I know this is the second one they’ve done in this format, but it seems like that’s a lot of bags for a long-term subscriber. Maybe I can pack my kids lunch in them?
I’ve got the plague (well, it’s a cold, but I languished for most of the day, and feel like a garbage truck hit me) so I treated myself to some argan oil on my hair (it was on sale @ Sally today) and a hot towel. This is a new thing, so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Are you an argan oil user? What do you think – beauty equivalent of a super food or hyped up BS?
I love makeup and nail polish and hair stuff. LOVE it. But I’ve never been any good with it. I try a smoky eye, and look like the morning after a crack binge. Red lipstick = Coco the fucking clown. Self tanner? Well, I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure the result would be somewhere between a pudgy He-Man and a clementine. Not a good scene. I’ve decided, at the ripe old age of 33, to figure it all out. And I’m bringing the whole internet along for the ride.
I’ll tell you about all the stuff I try, products, techniques and so on. I love getting mail, so I’ll share the excitement of my Glymm/Glossy/whatever boxes with you. If I ever take a photo of myself that won’t make your eyes catch fire, I may post those. But we’ll see. I may even treat you to the occasional video where I flail around for your entertainment! Good times.